Sunday, March 30, 2008

TSSJS Roundup

I didn’t get to see any sessions on day two of TSSJS partly because I gave two sessions myself and I was catching up with a bunch of people.

First I gave my Building an ESB talk again since it seemed to be popular. I also made a realization that may be perfectly obvious to most people. When developers talk about their projects or areas of interest they almost always talk about what you can do with technology X. Very rarely d they talk about how the technology should be used and how it applies to the real world. There was nothing new in my presentation but it was the first time I talked about how to approach the planning an implementation of an ESB/SOA solution and it seemed to be well received.

The next talk I would like to do is to build on this presentation and demonstrate how users can leverage Mule Galaxy to take a more structured approach to building SOA solutions with all the governance, lifecycle and artifact management that Galaxy offers.

The other session was a Fireside Chat (without the fire) about OSGi with Myself, Rod Johnson and Eugene Ciurana. I think the session was well received but I doubt we managed to dispel all of the confusion in the room about what OSGi is and how/why people should be using. The fact is I think most people shouldn’t care, but I’ll blog about this another time.

Overall, the TSSJS conference was a success and I’m pretty sure most attendees walked away happy and enlightened. However, TSS has changed over the years and I felt it was much less about innovation and more about technology applicability. The conference seems to have matured and now appeals to a different audience. Or maybe it the “Server-Side” space that is maturing.

3 comments:

David Dossot said...

Very rarely they talk about how the technology should be used and how it applies to the real world.

I agree, this is why I blogged about Pragmatic ESB Use Cases last month!

Ross Mason said...

Good posting David. I wonder how had it would be to create re-usable solution patterns for these use cases?

Ross Mason said...

oops, replace "had" with "hard"