Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Erlang on OS X

I've been meaning to take RabbitMQ for a drive. It's message broker that has been built around the AMQP standard. Oh, and its written in Erlang. I've been wanting to try it out for quite a while, but I always considered the extra hop of setting up Erlang a barrier that I'd need to set aside a chunk of time to get over. Well I'm happy to say I was wrong, and the set up is a breeze (thanks to some pointers from Tony at LShift).

$ mkdir build
$ cd build
$ wget http://erlang.org/download/otp_src_R11B-5.tar.gz
$ tar -zxvf otp_src_R11B-5.tar.gz
$ cd otp_src_R11B-5
$ ./configure --prefix=/opt/erlang
$ make
$ sudo make install
$ sudo ln -s /opt/erlang/bin/* /usr/local/bin/.
Note that wget doesn't ship with OS X but you can get it from Darwin ports.

I'll blog some more about RabbitMQ later, but so far it looks great.

3 comments:

andrew said...

I wish there were a VM image with Erlang and RabbitMQ already setup. My quick search some time ago didn't reveal it, if you get a hold of one (or create one), post the link here.

Andrew

alexis said...

Andrew, et al., you can find just such a VM by using CohesiveFT's Elastic Server On Demand.

http://www.cohesiveft.com/Tour/

Best wishes

alexis

aperepel said...

Got it, thanks. I see some more all-in-one bundles are available now on the RabbitMQ site as well.